Monday, May 5, 2008

Why I Haven't Written Too Much About Food

A couple of days ago I started reading Fuchsia Dunlop's book, 'Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China'. I read the book for a while and I get lost in her description of the Sichuanese food. So deliciously tingly in your mouth, so delightful, even sometimes painfully spicy, but it's still amazing. Then I wake up to cruel reality. I live in Westchester, a gastronomic wasteland! Not a culinary wasteland, mind you. There are plenty of fresh and great ingredients at the farmer's market and supermarket, but all of the restaurants, except maybe the local sushi bar, have boring and often mediocre food. I want to get out into the rest of the world and try new foods, new flavors. I read of places where food is the most important part of daily life, but in Westchester, more than a few people dismiss mushrooms or don't even like a cool glass of milk! I feel like I'm trapped in a strange world that I need to get out of!
This is why I don't write much about food. It's not that I'm not passionate for it. It's just that I can't find anything worth writing about!

No comments: