Tuesday, May 6, 2008

My Idea of Paradise Lost

I looked out of the large window of the café. It was raining hard; just the way I like it. I sighed deeply and pretended to listen to Suhayl. I was sleepy, but not so much that I needed to close my eyes. For the first time in my life, I felt content. The sun wasn't blaring down on me and I had nothing to do in the near future. I was free, but I couldn't go anywhere, so I didn't feel that I needed to get something done. Just a peaceful café and the soothing sound of rain.
"...and I never liked Bugs Bunny as a kid, but I felt pressured to like him by my friends. Now I think the cartoons are great, but what if that just means I've become what everyone is telling me to become?"
Oh yes, and Suhayl.
"Can we please talk about something else?"
"Sure...What do you wanna talk about?"
"I dunno..."
I drifted off into my own world, listening to the rain and wondering about when the chai was going to get here.
"Well, if you're not gonna come up with a subject, I will. You know what I hate? When things get too quiet. I get bored, and I tap my foot, and I start chattering my teeth to a tune I've been thinking about for a while. You know what I mean?"
How did I become his friend? He's my polar opposite! I want nothing but quiet, and a cool drink every so often. The chai came. I sipped it, expecting to get a cold and refreshing shot of chai.
"Ah god! I ordered a hot chai by accident."
My mouth was burned and my good mood had completely vanished.
"Too bad. You want some of my coffee?"
"No, I'll manage," I grumbled.
I HATE coffee. Even iced coffee. I wanted an iced chai right then, but I had no more money on me. I tried to make the best of the situation.
"Excuse me, can I have some ice cubes?"
I got a cup of ice cubes, and I dropped them into my chai. Drops of hot chai flew all over my shirt and I screamed in agony.
"You all right?"
"I'm going home to change my shirt. You can have my chai."
I walked out the door into the pouring rain. The once peaceful drops were now torturing me every step home. I sighed deeply, then I collapsed on the ground. I couldn't tell through the rain if I was crying or not. 

No comments: