Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Existentialist Piece

The creative fiction pieces I'm posting are all from Creative Writing Club. Just a heads up, as there's more to come.

This is an existentialist piece that I wrote while we were sitting outside during Creative Writing Club. It basically expresses my beliefs.


"We're all going to die. There is no God and no afterlife; just the here and now. Everything is just as it seems. No matter how hard you try, this won't change. Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people. Feelings can be gotten over. Words are just words, so stop talking. Do what you can and accept your humanity. Stop killing. NOW." And then I walked off the stage with the press stunned.


See what I did there with the twist ending? Extreme characterization sprung on you with one sentence! When I was reading this, a bug flew into my mouth. I resolve to never write in nature again. Also, one of the students said it wasn't a creative piece because there were no literary elements! The nerve of her! I had distinct characterization! Then she went on to read some emotional stuff that had no meaning. Yeah, it had more literary elements than mine did, but it was BAD. Do we now measure how good a piece is by how many of something it has?

No comments: