Sunday, April 27, 2008

Mario Kart Wii

A good game? Yes. But haven't they all been? I've played all of the Mario Kart games except for Super Circuit, and so far, they're all pretty much the same. I do admire DS's challenge mode and its secret staff ghosts. I put a lot of time and effort into beating those, but if it were on a home console, I probably would've given up much faster. I played the whole game on car trips, so I guess it was mostly boredom that pushed me to 100% the game. ANYWAY, I've played Mario Kart Wii for about half an hour, and what I feel is that the Wii Wheel is a toy that I'd rather do without. In fact, I'd rather use the control stick. The wheel feels strange in midair. I like how a racing wheel feels in arcades because it's attached to something, it goes back to the original position when you let go, and it's not completely made of plastic. The Wii Wheel is lacking in all of these aspects and the control for Excite Truck was perfectly fine. Not only am I encouraged by the Gamestop employee to buy another Wii Wheel for $15, but I also can't do tricks with the Gamecube or Classic controller. Is Nintendo trying to say that other control styles are looked down upon? The bikes are not as comfortable as the karts, and all of the cool looking karts have worse stats than the standard boring looking karts, so I feel like although there are new things in the game, they don't work as well, so why bother? Sooner or later, I'll just be playing the same old Mario Kart with new stages. At least there's online. Well, actually, I haven't found a Nintendo game with good online play yet, so I guess I won't play online much...

To give a complete review to Mario Kart Wii, I'll have to finish it, so all of the above opinions are subject to change. Check back soon for the full review.

No comments: